Thursday 22 October 2020

Facebook bans Holocaust denial, distortion posts

- Posted on 12 October 2020

San Francisco, October 12: Facebook is banning posts that deny or distort the Holocaust and will start directing people to authoritative sources if they search for information about the Nazi genocide. 

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the new policy on Monday, the latest attempt by the company to take action against conspiracy theories and misinformation ahead of the US presidential election.

The decision comes amid a push by Holocaust survivors around the world over the summer who lent their voices to a campaign targeting Zuckerberg, urging him to take action to remove Holocaust denial posts from the social media site.

Coordinated by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, the #NoDenyingIt campaign used Facebook itself to make the survivors’ entreaties to Zuckerberg heard, posting one video per day urging him to remove Holocaust-denying groups, pages and posts as hate speech.

Zuckerberg said in a blog post Monday he believe the new policy strikes the “right balance” in drawing the lines between what is and isn’t acceptable speech.

“I’ve struggled with the tension between standing for free expression and the harm caused by minimizing or denying the horror of the Holocaust,” he wrote.

“My own thinking has evolved as I’ve seen data showing an increase in anti-Semitic violence, as have our wider policies on hate speech.”  Zuckerberg had raised the ire of the Claims Conference, based in New York, and others with comments in 2018 to the tech website Recode that posts denying the Nazi annihilation of 6 million Jews would not necessarily be removed.

He said he did not think Holocaust deniers were “intentionally” getting it wrong, and that as long as posts were not calling for harm or violence, even offensive content should be protected.

After an outcry, Zuckerberg, who is Jewish himself, clarified that while he personally found “Holocaust denial deeply offensive” he believed that “the best way to fight offensive bad speech is with good speech”.

Read more

Punjabupdate is the free media platform established with a view to uphold what the fourth estate stands for without making any tall claims. Our practice so far has been to be non-conformist rather than flowing with the tide. We know this is not the easy path but then it has always been so. It is credibility and independence that are dear to us and epitomise our core values. We will question what is wrong and espouse what we feel is the right cause, at the same time fully conscious that both are relative terms but we will go by the interpretations are rooted in the collective consciousness of the people. At the same time, we will not stake any claim to be moralists as that can the most difficult test to pass and we admit it.
Copyright 2020 © punjabupdate.com